Monday, April 6, 2009

Sewing Weekend

The first weekend in April and yes, it is still snowing. So on with the crafting I go.

I started making covered throw pillows for my 3 yr old's bed. Using scraps from his bedding material, I starting to form a square then a rectangle, then.... it didn't fit the pillow that I was covering. I'm not a great measurer! Okay that is an understatement, I hardly ever measure. So instead of seam ripping and starting over, I continued into a lap blanket. I have never quilted before but this is what came of the project.

































It ended up 30 x 30 and covered in vintage airplanes, his favorite. I definately need to learn how to bind a quilt properly.





GIRLS TURN!


Since I made a blanket for my son, I decided that it was probably time to start making blankets for the upcoming arrival of a daughter.
Swaddle blankets are my favorite and super easy. I had some stretchy material just for the occasion in pink!
If you have never done this - first cut 2 squares, I like 40"x40", but when you only have a yd choose 30"x30"(this size is great for newborns).This means you actually cut 31"x 31" to allow for stitching.














Once you have cut turn the material faces in toward each other. Sew all the way around the edges leaving just enough room to pull the material right side out.














Pull the material right side out and fold the gap in. Then top stitch all the way around.
I chose to only do 2 sides with this cute stitch. As long as you stitch the hole, it doesn't matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment